Poulthyclogher Cave Augacashel just 3km from Drumshanbo
Walks Sliabh an Iarainn Mountain is the beautiful rugged mountain in County Leitrim, which ascends 585 metres from the eastern shore of Lough Allen. Walkers will stand in awe at the breathtaking panoramic views over the west and midlands of Ireland, or wonder at the amount and variety of flora and fauna encountered and foxes, hares, rabbits, badgers, ravens and peregrine falcons. There are walks each month. Please telephone in advance to confirm. Mountain Views Walking Festival Sli Liatroma is a 48km walk through a variety of landscape forms that are common to this beautiful but little known part of north west Ireland. Beginning in typical drumlin country the walker travels through increasingly more beautiful scenery until reaching the summit and wilderness of the uplands at Barlear. The route is made up of tracks old and new in its entirety, resulting in a fairly fast pace. The walk is generally more attractive if undertaken from Drumshanbo to Manorhamilton.
The Miners Way & Historical Trail are a network of walking paths which wind their way through adjoining parts of Counties Leitrim, Roscommon and Sligo. The Miners Way follows many of the paths used by the miners in the Arigna coal mines. This section makes a circuit starting from Arigna and travelling via Keadue, Ballyfarnon and Corrie Mountain to return to Arigna. The Historical Trail section runs in a great loop, leaving the Miners Way at Keadue and running to Lough Key Forest Park, Boyle, Carrowkeel, Castlebaldwin, Highwood and returning to the Miners Way at Ballyfarnon. A third loop connects the Miners Way to Sli Liatroma and goes around Lough Allen by Drumkeeran, Dowra, Drumshanbo and back to Arigna .
The Arigna Miners Way , including all links is 62kms (39 miles) in length and ascends some 1300 metres. The Historical Trail is 56kms (35miles) in length and ascends some 850 metres. They are most suitable for a weeks walking but the visitor can pick and choose which sections to walk. It links in with the Cavan Way at Dowra and thence to the Ulster Way.
View of the Lough Allen Basin
Hostel Accommodation 6 persons per room @ €16 B&B each per night ( Group rates available) 8 rooms available. Caravan Accommodation Caravan /Campers €20 per night including showers / Electricity Hello! Welcome You are assured of a warm welcome, companionship and good walking if you join us. Read on and see what it’s all about.A weekend of relaxed walking and talking in the most beautiful regions of Ireland:
- A tonic for mind, body and soul – fresh air, exercise, good company in a wonderful environment – for all ages.
- The chance to experience one of the most beautiful region of Ireland,
- with its wondrous beauty, and mystical, wild landscape.
- For non-native speakers there is the chance to practice and brush up your English in a very relaxed atmosphere.
- A very competitive price which includes meals and accommodation and all necessary transfers during the seven days.
- During the week you’ll experience the history, culture and geography of Leitrim. After a week of walking you will certainly have a great feeling of physical and mental well-being.
- Guided/Escorted Walking Tours and Vacations in Leitrim, to suite all levels of fitness and ability.
- Leisurely walks for those who just like to stretch their legs amidst spectacular scenery.Cultural tours taking in the geology, history and archaeology of the areas of Ireland.Challenging mountain hikes for energetic and experienced walkers.Arrangement of accommodation in carefully selected establishments , sensitive to the needs of our walkers.Provision of maps and walking/vacation itineraries.Airport-transfer and luggage transport by arrangementFlexible support for self-guided walks
Walking Wild Brochure Map of Region Lough Allen Cycle Sheemor Hill Drumshanbo – A Walking and Cycling Guide Facebook Links to further information and photographs https://www.facebook.com/AllenCentre